PODbookshed

This Blog is for writers and print-on-demand authors to vent or praise their publishing efforts, and as a place to offer support, advice and friendship.

Name:
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana, United States

Before my twilight years, I was an activist for social and political change, working for civil rights, women's rights, worker's rights, peace and justice. My involvement in women's liberation of the 70s has been documented in two books: "Feminism in the Heartland" by Judith Exekiel, (The Ohio University Press, 2002); and "Feminists Who Changed America, 1963-1975" (University of Illinois Press, 2006). Today, I stay close to my computer, writing books for young adults (9 to 90), and currently working on a six-book series set in Southern Ohio, which depicts six generations of the fictional Douglas family from 1803 to 1937 and using the major social and political movements of those times as a backdrop for the stories.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

I'm a book collector and got hooked into investing in first editions and antiquarian books instead of the stock market, having read that this would give me a much greater return. On paper, it looks good--my spreadsheet listing shows my costs are many times lower than the medium and high range prices of similar books currently listed on the internet. Unfortunately, there are book dealers in cyberspace who claim their titles are first editions when they aren't, who fail to describe the condition of their books, and don't have the faintest idea how to price a collectible, if they actually had one. This makes it difficult for collectors to know what to purchase. I assume they do like me, and don't buy from the amateur book dealer.

My book collection presents another problem, similar to the housing market. Even though a particular book may have a fair market value of $1,000 or more, it really has zero value unless I find a buyer willing to pay $1,000. A couple of years ago, I did try to auction off three first editions on Amazon.com and didn't even get a bite. Disappointed at first, now I'm glad, because all three have increased in value, at least on paper (and the internet). They gather dust along with all my other books, awaiting that big moment when an investor decides that books are the best hedge against inflation and will offer financial security for the golden years.

In the meantime, I sit and wait. And write books of my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home